West Nottingham Academy at a Glance
Located in Maryland, on the East Coast of the United States, and in close proximity to the Chesapeake Bay, West Nottingham Academy (WNA) is the oldest private boarding/day school in America! For over 270 years, West Nottingham Academy has been educating students for success in college and life beyond. Here is a glance and basic facts about WNA.
- West Nottingham is in the heart of the Mid-Atlantic region, within ninety minutes of Washington, DC, two-and-a-half hours from New York City, and a sixty-minute drive from Baltimore or Philadelphia.
- West Nottingham has been a small, residential school for college-bound students since it was founded in 1744. For more information, read about our History.
- Enrollment: 130 students, boys and girls, in grades 9-12 and post-graduate. Approximately 70% of our students live on campus, 40% of our students come from countries outside of the United States, and about 30% of our students live in the surrounding counties, attending as day students. Currently, our student body is 51% female and 49% male.
- 2016-17 Tuition and fees: Boarding $48,500; Day $18,200; Chesapeake Learning Center $9,250; International Student Tuition: $56.700.
- Financial Aid: West Nottingham Academy disperses close to $1,000,000 in tuition assistance. Approximately 40% of our students receive financial aid.
- 95% of our faculty live on campus.
- Campus size: 100 acres in a rural setting.
- School colors: Maroon and white
- School Mascot: Rams
- Accreditation and Affiliations: Association of Independent Maryland Schools; Middle States Association of Colleges and Independent Schools; National Association of Independent Schools; The Association of Boarding Schools, Small Boarding Schools Association, Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools.
- Teacher/Student Ratio: 1:7
- Average Class Size: 11
- Advanced Placement Courses: 13
Distinguished academic programs:
Student Programs of Note: Weekend Culture Credit program; weekend Service Learning opportunities, student-driven clubs, and Spartans v. Athenians competition. For more information, please see Student Life.
College Acceptances. 100% of our students matriculate to colleges and universities. Recent graduates have attended a diverse array of schools including: Syracuse University, Dickinson, Wellesley, Emory University, Lehigh University, Ithaca College, Rochester Institute of Technology, New York University, Carnegie-Mellon, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of Rochester, James Madison University, University of Maryland, Michigan State University. For more information, please see our college list.