Virtual Campus Tour

There is nothing like an actual campus visit to West Nottingham Academy, a boarding and day school in northeastern Maryland, but if that is not possible, take a look at our beautiful, serene, historic campus!

Finley-Bathon

Built in 1961, Finley Hall, named for school founder Samuel Finley, was dedicated and houses the academic classrooms, offices, and college counseling. In 2003 an addition to Finley Hall - the Patricia A. Bathon Science Center - added much needed science laboratories, Gates Gallery (where current student art work is displayed) and Helena Hall, a lecture-style classroom with stadium seating to our campus. The clocktower, which chimes on the hour and half-hour and plays holiday songs during the winter season, provides a special atmosphere to all campus residents.

Durigg Plaza

Constructed as in 2007 as an outdoor forum for students and alumni, and a grand welcome for guests, Durigg Plaza was the fulfillment of a project proposed a decade earlier. The dream for this beautiful center of campus came true as a result of a charitable gift of former trustee C.R. “Dick" Stevenson and a grant from the Richard R. Hallock Foundation. Weather permitting the current WNA community meets on the plaza for morning meeting a few days every week.

Magraw Hall

First built in 1823, the original Hall was destroyed by fire in 1927. The current structure sits on the same foot print and was dedicated in 1930. Once used as the original dormitory and kitchen for West Nottingham boarders, Magraw Hall is now home to the library, the Admission Office, the art studio, and offices for technology and faculty members.

The C. Herbert Foutz Center

Built in 1988 after years of planning and fund raising, the Herbert C. Foutz Center houses the Frank D. Brown Dining Room (named for an alumnus of WNA), administrative offices (including the Head of School's office), student canteen and music classroom.

East Dormitory

In 1998, ground was broken on two dormitories – East and West, “mirror" structures. East Dormitory currently houses 22 girls and four modern faculty residences.

George G. Heiney II, '63 Dormitory

Constructed in 1998, the George G. Heiney II, '63 Dormitory houses 22 boys and four faculty residences. The ratio of faculty supervision to students (1:8) is particularly impressive.

Old Academy

Old Academy, also known as the “Canteen" was constructed in 1864 to provide classrooms for the Academy. As a Canteen, the building was used for movies, dances, performances and socializing. Now a landmark of WNA, the Nottingham Players call the Old Academy home.

Gayley

Originally built in three sections, the home and surrounding acreage was purchased by James Hanna, WNA class of 1883, and sold to the Academy. Gayley is named for The Reverend Samuel A. Gayley, a minister of West Nottingham Church. Dr. Gayley was also President of the Board of Trustees and resident of the home for nearly four decades. Since that time, Gayley has been home to WNA Headmasters.

Ware Field House

Named in honor of Mr. and Mrs. John H. Ware, Jr, generous donors of WNA, the field house opened its door in 1964. The spacious 62,000 sq ft building houses a basketball and volleyball court, a stage, lockers rooms, showers, aerobic room and weight lifting area and training facilities.

Wiley

Wiley House, originally used as a girls' dormitory, now houses faculty residences and guest facilities. At one point, Wiley housed the administrative offices, the bookstore and it also served as a dormitory for boys.

Steele Cabin

Built as a replica of the original school, and constructed in 1949 and 1950, Steele Cabin was completed in 1952 and has had a variety of uses, from housing the school library to serving as a faculty residence. The cabin sits in a grove of trees near the Nottingham Lake.

Rowland Hall

Rowland Hall, a new girls' dormitory dedicated in 1958, heralded the beginning of a construction boom at WNA. Rowland is a two story brick dormitory with 12 rooms, a large student lounge, and two faculty residences. Energy efficient before its time, Rowland was equipped with hot water baseboard heating. The dorm is named for J.M.H. Rowland, an Academy graduate from 1886 and a long time Dean of the University of Maryland Medical School. The dorm underwent substantial renovation in 2008.

Rush Dormitory

When Bird Dormitory, a former structure on campus succumbed to fire in 1968, a new building was built on its heels. By the fall of that year, Rush Dormitory (named for Declaration of Independence signer and WNA graduate Benjamin Rush) opened its door to 40 boys. Three faculty members reside in Rush.

Nottingham Lake

When approaching campus, who does not marvel at the beauty of Nottingham Lake? Built from a natural stream, alumni share stories of swimming and fishing in the pond, which currently serves as home to our resident geese.
West Nottingham Academy
1079 Firetower Road
Colora, MD 21917

© 2013 West Nottingham Academy
phone: (410) 658–5556
fax: (866) 381–3684
admissions@wna.org

Established in 1744, West Nottingham Academy is the oldest boarding school in the United States. We are a 9-12 grade co-educational boarding and day school located in Northeastern Maryland, an hour's drive from either Philadelphia or Baltimore, 90 minutes from Washington DC and just over two hours from New York City.

powered by finalsite