Sunday through Tuesday: on-campus, practicing campsite set-up and traveling to local state parks for hiking and kayaking. Free evenings with a bonfire and s'mores, and a trip to Kilby Cream for local ice cream.
Tuesday and Wednesday: camp overnight at a state park.
Wednesday and Thursday: backpack trip preparation and fun activities on campus.
Thursday and Friday: campers and counselors will be dropped off for a one-night backpack trip, during which they will hike to the pickup location, carrying all necessary supplies.
Possible camp and hike locations (will be determined closer to the start date):
- Catoctin Mountain Park (highest point in Maryland)
- Cunningham Falls State Park
- Susquehanna State Park
- Gambrill State Park
- Patapsco State Park
Required supplies (participants must come with these items):
- backpack (at least 30L size)
- lightweight sleeping bag
- 3-5 heavy duty trash bags for pack waterproofing
- hiking shoes or boots (if you are purchasing new shoes, please wear them in before arriving to prevent foot injury)
- rain jacket with hood
- non-cotton socks and short and long sleeve tshirts (cotton pulls heat from the body)
- 1-2 pairs of hiking shorts/pants
- fleece or warm jacket
- warm pants for night
- water bottle or hydration bag (such as a CamelBak)
- headlamp or flashlight
- bug spray (with DEET)
- hand sanitizer
- hiking poles
- bug net
- ear plugs
- compass with clear base
- sleeping pad
- gaiters (waterproof ankle and leg protectors)